|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
Erebia medusa, (Denis & Schiffermüller, (1775)
Turkish Name: Orman Güzel Esmeri Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey:North Anatolian Region - (East and West Black Sea) and northeast Anatolia.
Distribution in the world: From the Europe across central, South and East Europe, Asia Minor, the Caucasus and Transcaucasia, the Urals and Siberia to the East Amur region, Northern China and Northern Mongolia.
Living Area: Areas at an altitude of 600-3000 meters. Damp montane and subalpine habitats and bogs; also open woodland edges at high elevations.
Flight time: One generation per year. Mainly June is its western range, but July- August according to altitude.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Caterpillars, many grasses, such as genera Bromus, Digitaria and Panicum.
Description-Notes: Type Locality. "Umgebung Wien" [Vienna, Austria]. Male is dark brown. Forewing has up to five eyespots on an orange postmedian band that is broken near the middle ; two larger subapical eyespots are linked together. Hindwing has five orange-ringed eyespots. Female is similar but slihgtly paler.
Wingspan: 40-50 long.
• Arctic woodland Ringlet – Erebia polaris, (Staudinger, 1871)
• Scotch Argus – Erebia aethiops, (Esper, )
• Alpine Ringlet – Erebia melancholica, (Herrich-Schaffer, )
• Almond-eyed Ringlet – Erebia alberganus, (de Prunner, 1798)
• Bright-eyed Ringlet – Erebia oeme, (Hübner, 1804)
Mythological: . "Medusa (Greek mythology) - Medusa (Medusa), the worst of the three Gorgon sisters bugaboo, only the death of them, which Perseus cut off the head" (Nekrutenko, 1990).
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.160 pp.
2. Babochki-kavkaza’s: Lepidoptera Caucasi - Woodland Ringlet
3. EuroButterflies - Matt Rowling: Matt Rowlings's European Butterflies Species Page - Woodland Ringlet
4. AdaMerOs Kelebek’s: Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey - Woodland Ringlet
5. Moths and Butterflies: Europe and North Africa - Woodland Ringlet
6. Trakel: Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey - Woodland Ringlet
7. Lepiforum.de: Help for determining the proven European butterfly species - Woodland Ringlet
8. Guy Padfield's : European Butterfly Page - Woodland Ringlet
Hotelcalifornia has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
Hello Seyfi- Beautiful butterfly this Woodland Ringlet. Well captured against such splendid green BG. Details and colours on wings are very attractive. Like WS picture also where we can see its upper and under wing colour. Nice presentation. Thanks for sharing. Regards and have a nice WE- Srikumar
Ciao Seyfi, great macro of lovely butterfly on beautiful blurry BG, splendid sharpness, fine details and wonderful colors, very well done, my friend, ciao Silvio
with good BG and good composition
the colours are also beautiful
thanks greeting lou
- [2014-09-19 8:05]
It is a real painting, what a lovely composition and beautiful colors, excellent BG color, nice POV, excellent clarity, fantastic sharpness, fine details. Congrads
- [2014-09-19 10:02]
Beautiful macro of this butterfly with a good sharp focus on the wings. A pity that we don't see more of the head. Splendid clear colours with a fine blurred background. Good composition.
Have a nice weekend,
Great capture of a very nice specie of butterfly. The colors are great.
- [2014-09-23 4:43]
HI Seyfi,the head is a bit dark but the wings are a great spectacle,magnificent capture of this rare erebia that i never seen in my country,perfect pov and great sharpness.Have a nice day and thanks,Luciano