The Small Copper
|Copyright: Seyfi Karaman (KOMSIS)
|Date Taken: 2014-08-04|
|Exposure: f/7.1, 1/320 seconds|
|More Photo Info: [view]|
|Photo Version: Original Version|
|Date Submitted: 2016-02-10 7:24|
|Favorites: 1 [view]|
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
Lycaena Phlaeas, (Linnaeus, 1761)
The Small Copper / Common Copper / American Copper
Turkish Name: Benekli Bakır Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: All regions.
Distribution in the world: Canary Islands, North Africa, All Europe, temperate Asia, Japan and North America, where it is as American Copper.
Living Area: Inhabit different types of landscapes: Sandy surf, flood plains, hillsides with bushes, forest edges, woodlands, villages. In the mountains, to 2400 meters The species is common.
Flight time: Depending on the height, the year develop from one to four generations. February-November.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: The larva feeds on Rumex species, especially Sheep sorrel (Rumex acetosella), Sorrel (Rumex acetosa) have also been mentioned.
Description-Notes: Our smallest copper. Sexes are similar. Forewing is bright orange with black border. Hindwing is darker and has an orange submarginal band and black marginal spots. Hindwing is mostly gray with a wavy orange submarginal line and forewing is orange with relatively large black spots. The upperside hindwing is dark brown with a bright solid band of orange, often with blue markings. Anal angle is clearly toothed in summer generations.
The origin of the Latin name: Phlaeas (Latin) - a fiery, golden.
Wingspan: 25 - 35 mm long.
• Grecian Copper – Lycaena ottomanus, ( Lefèbvre, 1830)
• Golden Copper – Lycaena thetis, (Klug, 1834)
• Violet Copper – Lycaena hele, ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775)
• Iberian Sooty Copper– Lycaena bleusei, (Oberthür, 1884)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.44 pp.
2. Lepiforum.de » http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Lycaena_Phlaeas
3. Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey » http://www.trakel.org/kelebekler/[email protected]&tur=Benekli%20Bak%C4%B1r
4. Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey » http://www.adamerkelebek.org/GozlemFoto.asp?Durum=7&FamilyaId=7&CinsId=26&TurID=40
5. Lepidoptera and their ecology»by Wolfgang Wagner » http://www.pyrgus.de/Lycaena_phlaeas_en.html
6. Lepidoptera Caucasi » http://www.babochki-kavkaza.ru/index.php/lycaenidae-/60-lycaena-phlaeas---/127--lycaena-phlaeas.html
7. Moths and Butterflies of Europe » http://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/LycaenPhlaeas.htm
8. Butterflies of France » http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html/Lycaena%20phlaeas.htm
9. UK Butterflies » http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=phlaeas
marius-secan, Hotelcalifornia has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
- [2016-02-10 7:27]
Hi Seyfi,finally something of common in my country too in your gallery...ehehe....a very good capture of the small copper,bright colors and classic position,but for me is just a bit oversharpened....no problem,nobody is perfect! Have a nice evening and thanks,Luciano
- [2016-02-10 7:31]
Another very beautiful macro of a butterfly. Fine sharpness, details and an excellent composition. Splendid clear colours.
Lovely composition and colours. You captured the small copper nicely on a pretty flower. Tac sharp detail and wonderful DOF.
It is really a splendid capture. Amazing sharpness and excellent clarity. Outstanding colors. The light and details are great. It is a pleasure viewing this colorful specie.
Thanks for sharing!
very nice picture with good details and super colours
thanks gr lou
Excellent photograph of this Common Copper. Outstanding BG as well as composition. Very good details and eye catching color.
Thanks for sharing,
Ciao Seyfi, great macro of lovely sall butterfly, fine details, splendid light, excellent sharpness and wonderful natural colors, very well done, my friend, ciao Silvio
- [2016-02-21 9:30]
Another close-up of a beautiful butterfly. Amazing colors and excellent sharpness details.
Very nice background.