Great Blue Heron
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|Hunting the tidepools at MacKerricher State Park on January 11, 2007...|
From Patuxent's website:
Great blue heron Ardea herodias
* Length: 38 inches Wingspan: 70 inches
* Sexes similar
* Huge long-legged long-necked wader
* Usually holds neck in an "S" curve at rest and in flight
* Long, thick, yellow bill
* White crown and face
* Black plume extending from above and behind eye to beyond back of head
* Brownish-buff neck with black-bordered white stripe down center of foreneck
* Blue-gray back, wings and belly
* Black shoulder
* Shaggy neck and back plumes in alternate plumage
* Black cap
* Brownish-gray back and upperwings
* Lacks shaggy neck and back plumes
* Lacks black plume extending from behind eye
"Great White Heron":
* White morph of Great Blue Heron
* Large yellow bill
* Yellow legs
* White plumage
* Single white plume extending back from above eye
* Found only in South Florida, rarely north along the coast
Tricolored Heron has white belly. Reddish Egret and Little Blue Heron are smaller, and lack white on head and yellow in bill. "Great White Heron" could be confused with Great Egret but is larger, with yellow legs and the single head plume coming from behind the eye.
Length and wingspan from: Robbins, C.S., Bruun, B., Zim, H.S., (1966). Birds of North America. New York: Western Publishing Company, Inc.
loot, Adanac, anel has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
Is this the new guard for the National Sea Rescue Institute? Looks like this guy is very wary of what’s happening in the surf.
I really like your composition and POV. It is not just the normal ‘get-it-as-close-as-possible’ shot, but an interesting scene that included a large part of the ocean habitat. The colours, although very natural, could have perhaps been bumped up with a little more saturation and the sharpness needed perhaps a tinge of USM processing. So this is no big deal as it is only part of optimisation and could easily be fixed. Anyway, the lighting is well controlled and there is some lovely contrasts visible on the bird.
Good work and TFS.
- [2007-01-14 3:56]
Beautiful capture with great composition, color and detail.
Lovely blues of ocean and bird are my favorite, thanks for sharing.
- [2007-01-14 7:20]
You caught this heron from an excellent and unusual point of view. I like the composition of your picture a lot, having kept the blue heron on the left side of the picture.
- [2007-01-14 12:11]
good photo selamlar