<< Previous Next >>


Photo Information
Copyright: Thomas Sautter (mjdundee) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 76 W: 0 N: 287] (1207)
Genre: Animals
Medium: Color
Date Taken: 1999-12
Categories: Reptiles
Camera: Canon EOS 3, Tamron 28-300 XR
Photo Version: Original Version
Theme(s): Reptiles - Skinks 1 [view contributor(s)]
Date Submitted: 2005-12-17 15:47
Viewed: 5689
Points: 12
[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note
Front and end of this fella look pretty similar.
He has a blue tongue but didn't give a smile to my camera.
Skinks are the most diverse group of lizards. They make up the family Scincidae which shares the superfamily or infraorder Scincomorpha with several other lizard families, including Lacertidae (the "true" or wall lizards). Scincidae is the largest of the lizard families with about 1200 species.

Skinks look roughly like true lizards, but most species have no pronounced neck and relatively small legs. Several genera (e.g., Typhlosaurus) have no limbs at all, others, such as Neoseps, have only reduced limbs. Often, their way of moving resembles that of snakes more than that of other lizards. Skinks usually have long, tapering tails that can be shed and regenerated
Most skinks are medium sized with a maximum length from the snout to the vent of some 12 cm, although there are a few that grow to larger sizes, such as the Corucia, which can reach 35 cm from snout to vent.

Skinks are generally carnivorous; many feed on smaller invertebrates.

About 55% of the skinks are oviparous, that is, they lay eggs in small clutches. The other 45% give birth to living offspring: they are viviparous.

Skinks occur worldwide. Some species are endangered.

klemmg, dew77, mlines, Janice, lovenature has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
Add Critique [Critiquing Guidelines] 
Only registered TrekNature members may write critiques.
You must be logged in to start a discussion.

Critiques [Translate]

Hi Thomas
wonderfull creator....

  • Great 
  • manyee Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3089 W: 230 N: 6774] (23770)
  • [2005-12-18 3:24]

Very interesting and unusual animal, Thomas. Great POV and sharp details. Well done and TFS. : )

  • Great 
  • dew77 Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 4432 W: 248 N: 4028] (13270)
  • [2005-12-19 8:25]

Hello Thomas!
Very interesting capture.This animal is new to me.POV,details and framing are wonderful.TFS...:-)

  • Great 
  • Janice Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3277 W: 148 N: 6163] (18832)
  • [2005-12-30 3:56]

Hi Thomas, this Skink isn't a very good looking lizard!! The shape is quite unusual, and it looks like his feet have troouble touching the ground! Well seen, thank you,

good job
and very nice picture

amazing creature, almost like 2 headed, TFS Ori

Calibration Check