|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|A large white heron, the Great Egret is found across much of the world, from southern Canada southward to Argentina, and in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. It's the largest egret in the Old World, and thus has garnered the name Great White Egret. But in the Americas, the white form of the Great Blue Heron is larger and warrants that name. In the United States, the Great Egret used to be called the American Egret but that was hardly appropriate, since the species range extends beyond America and indeed farther than other herons.|
* Large, all white heron.
* Long, black legs and feet.
* Yellow bill is long, stout, and straight.
* Flies with neck pulled back in S-curve.
* Size: 94-104 cm (37-41 in)
* Wingspan: 131-145 cm (52-57 in)
* Weight: 1000 g (35.3 ounces)
Sexes appear alike.
A deep croak when disturbed. Other low calls around nest.
Plume hunters in the late 1800s and early 1900s reduced North American populations by more than 95 percent. The populations recovered after the birds were protected by law. No population is considered threatened, but the species is vulnerable to the loss of wetlands.
Grande Aigrette (French)
Garza blanca, Garza grande, Garza real (Spanish)
Great White Egret (British) (English)
* The Great Egret is the symbol of the National Audubon Society, one of the oldest environmental organizations in North America. Audubon was founded to protect birds from being killed for their feathers.
* Not all young that hatch survive the nestling period. Aggression among nestlings is common and large chicks frequently kill their smaller siblings.
* The longevity record for a wild Great Egret is nearly 23 years.
From All About Birds .
Scanned from negative,just slightly cropped.
Grain due to film.
All critiques are welcome!
livios, jeanpaul, nofer has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
- [2006-02-21 8:03]
Carmem, bela captura.
Gosto muito da composição e das cores.
Essa mesma composição não está somente de acordo com a regra dos terços, mas, ao mesmo tempo, deixa espaço o bastante para o pássaro voar.
belle composition c est une belle capture que ce heron pris en plein vol les details sont interessant
merci et bravo...JP
- [2006-03-20 22:05]
Uma excelente captura... elas são sempre elegantes... no ar ou na terra. Gostei muito da foto!
Boas notas também!!