<< Previous Next >>

New Life

New Life
Photo Information
Copyright: Pam Russell (coasties) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3749 W: 483 N: 8155] (28054)
Genre: Animals
Medium: Color
Date Taken: 2006-12-09
Categories: Insects
Camera: Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 100-400mm L IS USM, Digital RAW 200, Hoya UV 77mm
More Photo Info: [view]
Photo Version: Original Version
Theme(s): Beautiful Butterflies [view contributor(s)]
Date Submitted: 2006-12-12 3:47
Viewed: 4418
Points: 28
[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note
Butterfly Procreation

A typical female butterfly will lay about 100 eggs in her lifetime. Some species lay their eggs gregariously (in clusters). Other species lay their eggs individually on widely dispersed plants. One school of thought argues for "survival in numbers" while the other takes the perspective, "don't put all of your eggs in one basket". Both approaches are valid, but only just sufficiently to ensure the survival of the species.

Of the 100 or so eggs that may be laid, only 2% should be expected to survive to become healthy adult butterflies. This figure is reasonable since in the aggregate one egg will replace the female and the other the male. The other 98% will fall by the wayside in the course of their development as eggs, larvae, pupae and emerging adults.

The reasons for this high mortality rate are several. The most important causes include climatic conditions (wind, drought and rain); diseases caused by virus and bacteria; and predators.


Camera: Canon 20D
Time of day: 9:54 a.m.
Date: 9th December 2006
Weather conditions: Inside Tropical Butterfly House
Lens: Canon 100-400mm L IS
Filter: Hoya 77mm UV
Shutter Speed: 1/20
F-Stop: F/5.6
Focal Length: 400mm
ISO: 200
Support: Hand Held
Original file type: Digital Raw

pankajbajpai, nainnain, fiyo, uleko, magal, rintile, Dave, marhowie, volkan, jeanpaul has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
Add Critique [Critiquing Guidelines] 
Only registered TrekNature members may write critiques.
You must be logged in to start a discussion.

Critiques [Translate]

hi pam,
what a lovely moment you have captured here,
nice shot with fine pov,
well composed shot,
well saturated colours,
good dof, nice bg,
well done,
tfs & regards

magnifique composition aux couleurs parfaites , du bon travail
bravo et merci du partage

  • Great 
  • fiyo Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1053 W: 5 N: 3475] (15161)
  • [2006-12-12 5:57]

Hello Pam,
Great shot, very good POV and pose. Very well done .TFS

  • Great 
  • uleko Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3396 W: 172 N: 3310] (10940)
  • [2006-12-12 10:20]

Hello Pam,
Wow, that's really a wonderful shot! What a great moment to witness! Very sharp and lovely colours with a velvety sheen. Good background and a nice composition.
TFS, Ulla

Hola Pam.
Una bella foto de ese nacimiento de mariposa.
bonitos colores.

  • Great 
  • magal Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 224 W: 0 N: 313] (1251)
  • [2006-12-12 13:13]

Hi Pam,
Beautiful, very colourful subject, with excellent POV and detail. The simplicity of the compo makes the shot really attractive. Very well presented too.
TFS and for the very informative note.

Nice POV, ood colors and contrast.... and a beutifull moment.

Good shot NFS


  • Great 
  • Dave Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 503 W: 43 N: 657] (2178)
  • [2006-12-12 23:40]

Hi Pam,
This picture tells a story! Great capture!

  • Great 
  • osse Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 955 W: 0 N: 89] (7805)
  • [2006-12-13 1:01]

Hi Pam
Nice moment shot. Good colours, sharpnes, details, light and POV. Also good note and frame
Well done my friend


  • Great 
  • honza Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 533 W: 0 N: 720] (4197)
  • [2006-12-13 7:05]

Very nice photo of the interestig moment in insects life. Very good POV, nice sharpness and colors. TFS Jan

Hi Pam.
I just dropped by to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas & Happy Holiday season.
I've really enjoyed viewing your shots this past year mf.
New life..and a New Year right around the corner as well :)

Wow another shot of this beautiful BF.
Nice clear details,sharpness and colors.
Well done.

Salut Pam
Superbe composition,j'aime bien l'éclairage et les magnifique couleurs et la netteté de ce magnifique papillon, félicitationon pour le beau BG.

Bravo et au revoir....JP
Les sourires demain

  • Great 
  • Mana Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1772 W: 36 N: 5597] (18598)
  • [2006-12-29 22:33]

Hi Coasties,
Wonderful Macro shot.
Colours are excellent as is the sharpness,POV, DOF, and composition. Looks really beautiful.

Calibration Check