Papilio alexanor (14)
|Altitude : 2140 meters|
Papilio alexanor, (Esper,1800)
Common Name: The Southern Swallowtail / Baluchi Yellow Swallowtail
Turkish Name: Kaplan Kırlangıçkuyruk Kelebeği
Distribution in Turkey: This butterfly has a rare and local distribution in all regions except Thrace and the Western Black Sea.
Distribution in the world: The distribution is now split up like islands in Europe: Provence and a few spots in the adjacent NW-Italy, Southern Italy (northern Sicily and Aspromonte), Croatia, the southern Balkan Peninsula. Furthermore, Papilio alexanor occurs across Asia Minor and Israel to Pakistan, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan.
Living Area: It inhabits open mountain steppe slopes up to 2500 metres. Hot dry flowery mountain slopes.
Flight time: For a year one generation is developing. Late May-early July in coastal Mediterranean, June-July in the interior July to late August in northeast.
Food Plants of the caterpillar: Caterpillars feed mainlly Fennels (Ferula sp) in parsley family (Apiaceae)
Description-Notes: Typical area, "Mice en Provence" [Nice, France]. It is a very large and extremely beautiful butterfly. A bright yellow with black stripes and a long tail, blackish hindwing postmodeia n band has continuous blue filling. Yellow forewing basal area, conspicuous black siscodial bar on hindwing and a continius yellow submarginal band on forewing distinguish it from other swallowtails.
Front Wing Lenght: 70-80 mm long.
Origin of name: Mythological-Alexanor (Ancient Greek: εξάλεξάνωρ) was the son of Machaon and his grandfather, the grandson of the Greek god Asclepius, who built a temple at the Titan summit in the Sicyon region.
Endangerment factors : Papilio alexanor is threatened at the sometimes overgrazing, tourism and in some places also through intensification (vineyards, etc.).
• Scarce Swallowtail – Iphiclides podalirius (Linnaeus, 1758)
1. Baytas A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayinlari, Istanbul.22 pp.
2. Lepidoptera Caucasi: http://www.babochki-kavkaza.ru/index.php/papilionidae/228-papilio-alexanor/278-papilio-alexanor.html
3. Butterflies Watching & Photography Society in Turkey :
4.Anonymous Butterflies of Turkey:
5. Moths and Butterflies of Europe: https://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/PapilAlex.htm
6. Wolfgang Wagner: http://www.pyrgus.de/Papilio_alexanor_en.html